3A- My Entrepreneurship Story
Throughout my life, I have always thought about how cool it would be to be able to come up with an invention that would revolutionize history, completely redefining a certain something. As humans, it is clear that we all want to do something that will help the greater good of humanity. Although we don't know what that may be, we sure hope that we will find it someday. I think that one of the peak entrepreneurial moments in my life was a project I had to do in high school. In my AP Biology class, we had to come up with any sort of invention that would help the community. So I went home and talked to my dad about it, since he is always the first person I go to for help with these kinds of things. After a couple of minutes of brainstorming, we decided to settle on creating a water reclamation system. Pretty much the idea behind it was that the grassy medians that separate the opposite sides of the road will have a system that pumps access water back through the pipes and reuses it. It would help save water and essentially would be a much more efficient way of watering the grass. After I had come up with the idea, I then had to build a prototype model of the system. My AP Biology teacher was extremely impressed and particularly fond of the idea, because it was so practical yet so simple. Given that science has never been my strong suit, I was pretty proud of myself. Thus, going into college I knew I wanted to keep this mentality of always creating ideas and taking on challenges. With that being said, I participated in a case competition during my first year at UF. Throughout the competition, my team and I were
forced to approach all problems head-on, and think like top company executives would. I would say this mentality was rather creative because we were constantly coming up with new ideas and pursuing new opportunities to help our case. Although some may think that you must be constantly inventing things in order to be called an entrepreneur, I believe that anyone who can see the world in a very unique, creative way has the ability to be an entrepreneur. I believe that entrepreneurs are constantly putting themselves in situations that force them to grow and see their failures as an opportunity to be better. That's why, even though both circumstances of mine were different, they both encouraged me to ask questions, exploit knowledge, and create new perspectives on things.
Thus, I believe one of the main reasons I took this course was so that I could better reflect on my past experiences and use them in order to open up my eyes to a new take on the world. I think this ability to share ideas freely and exploit knowledge is a very special characteristic of entrepreneurs, and I would hope that it is a skill I will be able to learn in this class. I also believe this class is a lot of self-reflection, and being able to reflect is crucial when trying to understand the world around you. I hope that this class will teach me to be more open and not be afraid to take risks when it comes to opportunities that encourage self-growth.
A picture of me and my team winning the case competition
forced to approach all problems head-on, and think like top company executives would. I would say this mentality was rather creative because we were constantly coming up with new ideas and pursuing new opportunities to help our case. Although some may think that you must be constantly inventing things in order to be called an entrepreneur, I believe that anyone who can see the world in a very unique, creative way has the ability to be an entrepreneur. I believe that entrepreneurs are constantly putting themselves in situations that force them to grow and see their failures as an opportunity to be better. That's why, even though both circumstances of mine were different, they both encouraged me to ask questions, exploit knowledge, and create new perspectives on things.
Thus, I believe one of the main reasons I took this course was so that I could better reflect on my past experiences and use them in order to open up my eyes to a new take on the world. I think this ability to share ideas freely and exploit knowledge is a very special characteristic of entrepreneurs, and I would hope that it is a skill I will be able to learn in this class. I also believe this class is a lot of self-reflection, and being able to reflect is crucial when trying to understand the world around you. I hope that this class will teach me to be more open and not be afraid to take risks when it comes to opportunities that encourage self-growth.
A picture of me and my team winning the case competition
Hi Beca,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your entrepreneurship story! I was so interested in your water reclamation system, as I'm also not the best in the science department but the idea of coming up with something simple, yet effective, like that is really awesome. I could also relate a lot to your experience in the Case Competition since I participated as well, but congratulations to you and your team for winning! I can tell your description of what an entrepreneur is has really reflected in your work.
Hi Becca, I think that is an awesome idea. You're right it really is such a simple idea but could be extremely effective in our society. I kinda share the same reasons for taking this class. I am hoping that I can become comfortable and understand taking risks in order to make money. I think this class will be great for us by teaching us how to deal with real life situations and be prepared to take full advantage of them.
ReplyDeleteHi Beca,
ReplyDeleteI loved reading your post because you are very well written, and the report was thorough. Its interesting that you've had an opportunity to create something entrepreneurial at UF. I personally haven't had the chance to think in an entrepreneurial mindset since high school, but maybe this class will show us how we can create projects like this on our own without any guidance!