8A- Solving the Problem
My main problem is the exclusive usage of plastic bags in grocery stores nationwide. Personally, I see no reason in using plastic bags when there are perfectly useful alternatives available. My opportunity is the strict usage of reusable bags at stores in order to not only reduce harmful plastic waste that is thrown into the environment but because reusable bags are overall much more effective and flexible to use. Yes, I am aware that there are other alternatives such as using paper bags instead of plastic bags, but reusable bags are more durable, have more space, and are more environmentally friendly. I guess to me this has become more of an environment-related issue just because the plastic waste that comes from plastic bags is so high and harmful. I am aware that giving out reusable bags at stores would be less cost-efficient, but I also am aware of the fact that in the long run, this is the solution that will ultimately be in everyone's best interest. I believe that the stores should give out these reusable bags, and if that is too expensive then they should be able to sell them to customers. Overall, I see an opportunity for the dispersal of only reusable bags that are not made out of plastic because of all of the potential benefits. I acknowledge the fact that this is not easy and will not be done in one day, but it can definitely be done.
Hi Beca,
ReplyDeleteI should've read this post before your hypothesis because i actually provided some solutions :) check it out in the comments. But I agree, I think if the nation moves away from plastic bags in a strict and abrupt manner, then people will just get used to it. I think the solution of some states starting to adopt a 0-plastic-bag policy, while other states aren't, is just delaying our environmental progress!
Hey Beca!
ReplyDeleteIt's so awesome to see people being more environmentally mindful recently and I can totally see the opportunity for a company to step in and regulate the dispersal of reusable bags in order to cut back on plastic. I feel like in order for this opportunity to be exploited effectively, this company would have to work with stores that use plastic bags, and their customers directly, by providing these bags and informing customers on how to use them correctly. I feel like the same effect could also be achieved by finding a biodegradable alternative to plastic bags.