27A- Reading Reflection No 3.
I chose to read How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big, Scott Adams
1. What was the general theme or argument of the book?
Overall, the book is pretty much a series of lessons that Scott Adams has been able to come up with and apply to his own life. Through experience, failures, and successes, he has bottled up everything that has helped him stay on track to create his life. A lot of the lessons were quite the opposite of what you would expect, but the more you think about it, the more they make sense. A few of my favorite lessons were the importance of acquiring skills and affirmations. Adams described how crucial it is to be able to constantly acquire new skills. Being able to do so roughly doubles your chance for success with whatever that may be. Furthermore, all skills, no matter in what context they are learned, can typically be applied to any sort of setting. The more we learn, the easier it will be to learn. Second, the affirmation lesson really interested me. Being able to perform positive affirmations with what it is that you want will increase the chances of success. I strongly believe that this is true because I have seen it in action. it is important to believe that what you want will happen.
2. How did the book, in your opinion, connect with and enhance what you are learning in ENT 3003?
This book was essentially a book of small lessons that can be applied to any real world endeavor. I believe that this connects with ENT3003 because just like the class, Scott Adams stresses the role that small factors play in our everyday lives. In class, we are taught to think like entrepreneurs and make decisions that take into account everything we have learned and all of the people who we have networked with. In the book, we are given lessons that will ultimately go on to help us think and help us connect with people, thus enhancing and making assignments for this class a bit easier. The book taught me how to think in a creative way, and that is something that goes hand in hand with this class because you need creativity and imagination to get these assignments done.
3. If you had to design an exercise for this class, based on the book you read, what would that exercise involve?
I would have students read this book and choose 5 principles/ lessons that stuck out to them that Scott Adams presents in his book. After they have chosen 5 lessons, I will have students talk about why they chose each lesson, and then describe a time in the past when they have applied this lesson to their lives and how they will use it moving forward. Finally, I will ask them if there is any lesson they strongly disagree with and have them explain why.
4. What was your biggest surprise or 'aha' moment when reading the book? In other words, what did you learn that differed most from your expectations?
One of my most surprising moments of reading the book was when Scott Adams described the importance of looking out for yourself not for your own sake, but for the sake of others. Essentially, he goes on to describe how one must always put themselves first by looking out for themselves and their energy. The reasoning behind this is what surprised me. The reason behind it was that if you do not look after yourself, your economics and your health then you will become a burden on your family and your friends. I personally disagree with this in a few ways. Being someone who is very self-oriented, I have always tried to do things that I knew were in my best interest. But, I never felt as though I was a burden on my family or friends especially when I failed. If anything, I believe you need to lean on your family and friends in order to get you through tough times. So, I think that his approaches are very subjective to the type of family and friends who you have. I do not think that obstacles in the road will burden society at all.
1. What was the general theme or argument of the book?
Overall, the book is pretty much a series of lessons that Scott Adams has been able to come up with and apply to his own life. Through experience, failures, and successes, he has bottled up everything that has helped him stay on track to create his life. A lot of the lessons were quite the opposite of what you would expect, but the more you think about it, the more they make sense. A few of my favorite lessons were the importance of acquiring skills and affirmations. Adams described how crucial it is to be able to constantly acquire new skills. Being able to do so roughly doubles your chance for success with whatever that may be. Furthermore, all skills, no matter in what context they are learned, can typically be applied to any sort of setting. The more we learn, the easier it will be to learn. Second, the affirmation lesson really interested me. Being able to perform positive affirmations with what it is that you want will increase the chances of success. I strongly believe that this is true because I have seen it in action. it is important to believe that what you want will happen.
2. How did the book, in your opinion, connect with and enhance what you are learning in ENT 3003?
This book was essentially a book of small lessons that can be applied to any real world endeavor. I believe that this connects with ENT3003 because just like the class, Scott Adams stresses the role that small factors play in our everyday lives. In class, we are taught to think like entrepreneurs and make decisions that take into account everything we have learned and all of the people who we have networked with. In the book, we are given lessons that will ultimately go on to help us think and help us connect with people, thus enhancing and making assignments for this class a bit easier. The book taught me how to think in a creative way, and that is something that goes hand in hand with this class because you need creativity and imagination to get these assignments done.
3. If you had to design an exercise for this class, based on the book you read, what would that exercise involve?
I would have students read this book and choose 5 principles/ lessons that stuck out to them that Scott Adams presents in his book. After they have chosen 5 lessons, I will have students talk about why they chose each lesson, and then describe a time in the past when they have applied this lesson to their lives and how they will use it moving forward. Finally, I will ask them if there is any lesson they strongly disagree with and have them explain why.
4. What was your biggest surprise or 'aha' moment when reading the book? In other words, what did you learn that differed most from your expectations?
One of my most surprising moments of reading the book was when Scott Adams described the importance of looking out for yourself not for your own sake, but for the sake of others. Essentially, he goes on to describe how one must always put themselves first by looking out for themselves and their energy. The reasoning behind this is what surprised me. The reason behind it was that if you do not look after yourself, your economics and your health then you will become a burden on your family and your friends. I personally disagree with this in a few ways. Being someone who is very self-oriented, I have always tried to do things that I knew were in my best interest. But, I never felt as though I was a burden on my family or friends especially when I failed. If anything, I believe you need to lean on your family and friends in order to get you through tough times. So, I think that his approaches are very subjective to the type of family and friends who you have. I do not think that obstacles in the road will burden society at all.
Hi Beca,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your reading reflection. I like how Adams says that it is important to keep gaining skills. I feel like this is something I have embraced in college. In high school, I definitely felt like i was only learning to get good grades and have a good resume. As I've gotten older, I have developed the yearning to learn for myself and acquire skills that I think make me a better person (work related and not work related), rather than just getting an "A".
Hey Beca,
ReplyDeleteI read this book for the last reading assignment and I really enjoyed it. I like how you called them the sort of small skills/things that adds up because that's so accurate. I too was kind of surprised at his sort of selfish approach and the fact that he somehow linked being selfish to benefiting others around you.